The holidays are a great time to express appreciation for teachers. Here are ten fun ideas you can use for your holiday teacher appreciation.
1. Make the teacher’s lounge festive. Decorate the teacher’s lounge for the various holidays and seasons. Bring in pumpkins for the fall and a small tree and wreath for the winter. The change in décor will help to brighten their days!
2. Halloween costume contest. Hold a contest among the teachers for the best costume. Elect a panel of judges (they can be students!) or have the entire staff vote for their favorite outfit. Award the winners a certificate and a bag of Halloween candy.
3. Thanksgiving sweets. Express your thankfulness for your teachers by providing an assortment of pies in the teacher’s lounge for them to enjoy.
4. Teacher cookie exchange. Organize parents to each bring in two dozen of their favorite holiday cookie. Put all the cookies in the teacher’s lounge, and give teachers a special plate or container to stock up on their favorite cookies. Not only is it a nice treat, but it will save the teachers from having do so much baking!
5. Beat the winter blues with a warm gift. Give each teacher a coffee mug with a packet of hot cocoa or tea. Add flavored syrups to the coffee bar in the teacher’s lounge as a special treat.
6. Welcome teachers back after the New Year. Ease the transition back to school from vacation with a personal note for each teacher. Place the notes on each teacher’s desk, so they’ll see it when they first return to the classroom.
7. Send a Valentine’s note. Give each teacher a Valentine’s card and complete the statement “I love having you at this school because…” The cards can be handmade by the students at your school!
8. Luck of the Irish St. Patrick’s Day. Let your teachers know you feel lucky to have them at your school. Put a Shamrock Character Pin on each teacher’s desk with a gold coin (chocolate, of course!). The message on the card lets the teacher know how much you appreciate their dedication.
9. Celebrate spring break. Use the excitement of spring break to have some fun as a school and a team. Host tropical themed events throughout the week during lunch, before, or after school. A limbo contest will get all the teachers laughing, and you can award the winner a certificate!
10. Throw an egg hunt for teachers. Hide eggs throughout the school for your teachers to find. You may need to do this after hours so the kids don’t take them! For every egg they collect, their name gets entered into a raffle. Once the hunt is over, raffle off prizes! You can award a prize or a certificate to the teacher who collected the most eggs, too.