Back to school is in full swing! Teachers are preparing lesson plans, students are shopping, and parents are rejoicing – everyone is going back to school! The beginning of a new school year is an exciting time, but also an important transition period for everyone returning from summer vacation. Get the school year off to a good start by providing a warm welcome with these recognition and appreciation ideas for teachers, students, and staff.
Welcome teachers and staff back to school with a welcome gift!
1. Start a Recognition Program. You can create a simple and low-cost recognition program in your classroom or school building with the right tools and a little communication! The Spot On peer recognition program is perfect for recognizing students for good classroom behavior or staff for going beyond the call of duty.
2. Complete Tell Us About You Forms. Effective recognition – and a warm welcome – is all about knowing the individual. Learn some basic facts and favorites of your coworkers and students by having them complete our free Tell Us About You form. Keep a copy of all the forms in a binder in a central location so teachers and staff members can exchange sincere thanks.
3. Send a Card Home. Make teachers, students, and staff feel truly welcome by sending a personal card to their home. Teachers can write to students about how excited they are to have them in class, and the PTO can write to teachers and staff to say thanks for all you do. For an electronic version, send a free ePraise card via email.
4. Give a Back to School Welcome Gift. Teachers are always in need of classroom supplies, so fill a new tote bag with items they can use in the classroom like pencils, markers, sticky notes, a Twist Top Tumbler and a new USB key chain that makes it easy to take work on the go.
5. Have a Welcome Back to School Reception. Before the students arrive, schedule some time to have a small reception for teachers, staff, and parent volunteers to kick off the new school year. Have each attendee submit a fun fact or story about their summer activities. During the reception, announce the facts and try to match each one back to the person who shared it! For an affordable gift, give each attendee a Milestone Charm before they leave.
For more back to school appreciation ideas, download our free Teacher Appreciation Ideas eBook from our Recognition Resource Center.
Starting a new recognition program for the school year? How you communicate about your recognition program influences how employees remember it. Get tips on packaging your program for long term effectiveness.
Package Your Recognition Program
Think about how your organization sells its product. What’s one of the most important aspects? The packaging!
Your recognition program is no different. Give it a name, theme, and identity. Your program’s identity can be a great rallying point for employees. Use program graphics on greeting cards, updates, internal company communications, newsletters, and certificates, and as a logo on lapel pins and awards. Your recognition program package doesn’t have to be expensive. Use pre-printed papers and motivational merchandise, centering your theme on graphics that already exist.
This quick tip is from our employee recognition eBook “Winning Ways to Recognize Your Stars.”
Regardless of our hectic school schedules, taking the time to recognize the people at your school can make a huge difference.
It is well documented that, when interviewed, school employees repeatedly recall recognition events as among the most satisfying of their work experiences. This result is consistent over a 50+ year period with all levels of employees.
Schools are busy places for teachers, parents, and students, so it’s not uncommon to forget to say “thank you” and “great job.” This year, create a goal to recognize teachers, staff, students, and volunteers more often!
For even more school recognition ideas, visit the Baudville Recognition Resource Center.