Customer Service
1.800.728.0888
Mon - Fri 8am - 7pm ET
My Account   |   Catalog
Login   |

Are You Creating Great Experiences?




Curt Bludworth, Vice President of Human Resources for Tektronix, is passionate about creating an exceptional employee experience and creating teams that win every day. Read on to learn more...
Can you summarize your definition of the "Employee Experience"? What does a world-class employee experience look like through your eyes?

Being part of a winning team and understanding how you add value is about 90% of the equation for a motivated and happy workforce. The other 10%—the differentiator in a competitive talent market—is creating an environment in which employees can learn, grow, and connect with each other and their community, have fun, and win. This is how you attract great talent, and, more importantly, it's how you keep great talent.

How can the HR department impact an organization and its success? How do they set the tone?

HR can definitely help set the tone, but the tone starts from the top—the CEO or President. What HR can do is help the CEO and the leadership team to execute their strategic priorities. To keep up with global competition and win, companies must have the right people, in the right place, at the right time, and at the right cost. The market for great talent will never get easier. HR's priorities must align to their company's strategic priorities. Knowing what a winner looks like is step one. Once you understand that, then you know what kind of talent you need to deliver.

You are always looking for new ways to improve the employee experience. Where do you get your inspiration?

One of our core values is: "The Best Team Wins," and I sincerely believe that. I wake up every morning and I expect to win, not necessarily a competition or a contest, but in an everyday sense of personal and team achievement. I don't approach anything where I say, "ok, it doesn't really matter if I achieve my goal or not." Instead, I approach it with the expectation that we will achieve something better than before.

How have the people of Tektronix connected with the community for the community? How did you spearhead that movement?

Whether it's our foundation giving monetary support to specific organizations, or our associates volunteering their time to help those in need, Tek has a long and rich history of community engagement. All I've done is try to make that connection easier for our employees...they've done the rest.

We love your simplistic approach to HR. What advice would you give someone in HR so as not to get buried by activities that don't help the business achieve its goals?

I'd tell them to understand their company's strategy, understand what a winner looks like, and help the business grow and achieve its goals by finding and retaining the best talent. Designing or implementing "people" programs based on the latest book or fad might get you short-term recognition, but it won't help drive the business or create shareholder value.

If you could tell your HR team to focus on only three things...what would they be?

1. Find the best talent.
2. Create a differentiated employee experience that allows people to grow, have fun, and win.
3. Focus on things that drive your company's strategy.

So far, in your career, what was your most memorable experience as an employee?

I don't think it's happened yet...the best is yet to come!


SIGN UP FOR BAUDVILLE'S EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION BLOG

Get daily insights, ideas, and inspiration on all things
employee recognition, corporate culture, wellness and more!

Email *
Notification Frequency *
Subscribe


You May Also Like:

Give Positive Employee Feedback with your own Positive Words
The following is a sample list of possible short, positive employee feedback messages that could be handwritten or spoken. Tailor your own personal message to suit the people and performance goals in your organization.
View Article

Give Positive Employee Feedback with your own Positive Words
10 Ways to Revitalize Your Employee Recognition Program
One of the greatest challenges any recognition program faces is maintaining momentum after the newness of the program wears off. Use these easy and low cost ideas to keep your employee recognition program fresh and exciting!
View Article

10 Ways to Revitalize Your Employee Recognition Program


  • Contact Us
  • Catalog Request
  • Shipping & Return Policy
  • Satisfaction Guarantee
  • FAQs
   BizRate Customer Certified (GOLD) Site - Baudville Reviews at Bizrate
1-800-728-0888    5380 52nd Street SE Grand Rapids, MI 49512   
Send comments and corrections to: webmaster
© 2000 - 2014 by Baudville, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.
Legal Notices - Privacy Policy
Live chat by BoldChat